Sunday, June 21, 2009

Absolutely No Strawberries!


I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want to ruin a perfectly good rhubarb dish (from pies to crisp to cake) by adding strawberries. In my mind, there are only two ways that strawberries should be eaten, fresh/raw or in preserves.

Instead of making my usual rhubarb crisp (or pie) from the rhubarb that grows in my front yard, I searched the web for rhubarb cake recipes and decided on this one located on The Rhubarb Compendium (section 10.3). I used non-fat yogurt because I made a mistake at the market and picked some up (I always buy Strauss whole milk yogurt).

Ravishing Rhubarb Cake

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
11/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup applesauce or plain nonfat yogurt
3 cups uncooked rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Beat eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, soda and cinnamon. Add applesauce, rhubarb and nuts; stir until well blended.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Cool; dust with powdered sugar. Yields 20 servings.

2 comments:

Nicola said...

nice recipe. i am trying to become a rhubarb convert, but last try (years ago) i didn't like them. strawberry added to anything sounds good to me. ;)

yes(!!) to stone mountain and daughter! thanks for visiting my blog!

nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

John Hawkridge said...

I have a rhubarb butterscotch recipe and rhubarb ice cream. I'll probably try the ice cream. Maybe the butterscotch as a topping?